West Coast / Gulf Coast Port Capacity Study
Mitsui Company, a leading Japanese sogo shosha (general trading firm), has more than 720
subsidiaries in a wide range of industries including: chemical; consumer products and retail,
foods, textiles, property development; energy; logistics and financial markets; machinery,
electronics and information; metal products and minerals.
How WCL Consulting Helped
WCL Consulting analyzed the current and projected goods movement flow capacity through
the ports of Los Angeles, Long Beach, Seattle, Tacoma, and Houston.
The capacity factors analyzed included:
• Port expansion plans and timelines
• Steamship line vessel sailings
• Marine terminal operations
• Harbor trucking operations
• Custom house brokerage services
• Third-party logistics providers services
• Rail and truckload carrier services
• Importers / exporters volumes
The client used the information in adjusting their strategic and tactical business plans for
handling North American imports and exports through U.S. Gateways.