Southern California Norton Air Base Logistics Study
Hillwood Development invests in and develops commercial, industrial, and residential property throughout the US. It owns more than 22 million sq. ft. of primarily industrial space within its developments. Hillwood was considering making a major investment in the Southern California Norton Air Base privatization project to design and build a large industrial park. They felt prior to their final decision that they should have a Logistics Study performed to identify the strengths and challenges of the location from a warehouse operations perspective compared to alternative competitive sites.
How WCL Consulting Helped
WCL Consulting conducted an in-depth Warehouse Location Logistics SWOT analysis. The components analyzed included:
- Degree of intramodal (within a specific mode) and intermodal (between different modes) transportation competition
- Identify outbound transportation services availability/capability
- Location to and mileage to key markets
- Inbound and outbound transportation costs comparison
- Balance or imbalance of freight
- Dependability / consistency of transportation services
- Shipment time-in-transit
- Ability to provide door-to-door service
- Flexibility by service providers
- Transportation infrastructure
- Residential development plans near D.C.
- Labor quality and quantity (High Level)
Hillwood Development used the WCL Consulting study report in both their executive management decision discussion meetings and later in developing their marketing materials. Today the project is a 2,000 acre trade and logistics center anchored by San Bernardino International Airport.